Monday, February 5, 2007

Super Bowl 2007

I watched the Super Bowl last night mainly for the advertisement, then the football but definitely not for the halftime show.

The ads this year were funny, but I always like Anheuser-Busch commercials. Their commercials are as good as their beer.

The New York Times published an article today about Super Bowl commercials, which presents an interesting perspective of the ads.

I agree with somethings they say, like the ads were more violent than in the past, but I don't necessarily agree that the ads are sending a subliminal message about the war in Iraq. Maybe I think too superficially, but I watched the same commercials and never once did they make me think about the ongoing war overseas.

Also, the way the article describes some of the ads take the message out of context. For instance to discuss exaggerated violence in commercials, the article cites the Snickers ad that has two men ripping off their chest hair to prove their masculinity; however, this move came after the two men kissed by sharing a Snickers bar the same way Lady and the Tramp shared a spaghetti noodle. When I watched that ad I didn't see exaggerated violence; instead, I thought the men were proving masculinity because they had just kissed, which can be construed as not masculine.

No comments: