Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Great Advice for Emerging PR Practitioners

I recently conducted an email interview with Kriya Benich, Development Officer of the Make-A-Wish Foundation.

I asked her a series of five questions hoping she could shed some light on PR and help me with job searching. Read below to see what she says...

1. Do you think PR is something that is taught? Or is it an innate ability?
I think it is a combination. You have to be taught the basics to show the scope of what's out there. You must learn the terms and practices that make-up media, campaigns, journalism, communications, etc. But if you really pay attention, 99.9% of PR professionals are very similar - creative, energetic, charismatic personality, troubleshooters, works well in groups, feed off the energy of others, and love to dive into new projects. Obviously, the field attracts people with certain innate abilities. If you like to work solo with minimal distraction, you probably won't enjoy the PR world. But if you enjoy the synergy of great minds working together for a common goal, you'll find a place in PR. It's a balance of the two.

2. What is the best part of your job? What is the worst part of your job?
The best part: I get to do great work for a great cause. I'm able to work on projects and with people I enjoy on behalf of children I deeply care about. In other words, I get to see the fruits of my labor in the face of our wish kids....instead of a paycheck :)

The worst part: No matter how well you do in my area of fundraising/PR, there's always more work to be done. Unfortunately, there will always be more sick children to help.

3. What personal characteristic do you possess that makes you successful in the PR world?
When I took all the personality tests that tell you what your learning styles are, what your major should be, and what your weaknesses are, they all confirmed what I already knew - I need to work with people. And because I enjoy most interactions with people (pleasant, horrible, or indifferent) I can use them to be better in PR. I also thrive in an environment when I can work hard for something I believe in.

4. What advice can you give upcoming PR practitioners? (Especially regarding job searching)
You should know what you're good at and focus on areas that will let those qualities shine. Ask questions of the employer to make sure they fit your requirements. Even though you're desperate to find a job and obviously need to be open-minded, don't settle.

5. As an employer, what qualities do you look for in applicants?
Personality, diverse skills/experiences, and passion for the project

Thank you, Kriya for such great insight!!! I'll heed these words as a future PR practitioner!

4 comments:

Charlotte said...

i like that idea...of posting an interview...i may need to go back and look at some old ones i have in the ole email account! great blogging!

Nikki said...

Thanks for posting this interview!

I'm really interested in getting into nonprofit PR and its always great to get advice from someone who obviously knows what they're doing.

Good work!

Lauren said...

Thank you! Nonprofit is my favorite part of PR, and I would HIGHLY recommend it! I'm glad to know there are other people who like nonprofit, too!

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.